We want longevity from our clothes, especially when we splurge on luxurious materials. Sweaters are made from all different types of fabrics; each comes with its own guidelines for cleaning. I want to give you some tips on how to extend the lifetime of your cashmere. Please keep in mind you always want to test an inconspicuous area before the entirety of the garment.
- Do Not Wash Every Wear – You can wear your cashmere more than once before cleaning, as long as there were no stains, sweating, etc. If you wear your sweater over a base layer, launder after about 5 wears. To extend the wear use a fabric freshener.
- Shave regularly – Natural fibers can pill (aka fuzz balls) that form in areas where there is friction. These areas include under the arms, along the inside of the thighs, or where you carry your handbag. Use lint tape, a razor blade or a special device to keep yours fuzz-free.
- Do Not Ignore Label – Many cashmere items are labeled “Dry Clean Only.” Dry cleaners possess the ability to clean the fabric with the utmost care it deserves. Especially when a garment has special buttons, metals, embroidery or beading, you want to entrust a professional.
- Use Cold Water and Mild Detergent – If you choose to clean your cashmere, hand washing is your best bet. You want to soak the garment for about 20 minutes. Some say the washer on a gentle cycle spin is ok, but I rather leave it up to the professionals. Do Not use heat to dry.
- Lay Flat to Dry – Wet cashmere is most vulnerable and can take days to dry. To extract excess water, do not wring, place the garment on a dry towel and roll it up. Once the towel has absorbed as much of the moisture as possibly can, lay it flat in a shady spot to dry.
When it comes to lavish fabrics, Cameo By Copeland has a team of highly trained professionals to give your garment the maximal care it deserves. These fabrics are investments that need to be treated right. Contact Us for more info or Schedule a Complimentary pick up.